Saturday, November 24, 2012

Baby Story!

It's been a while, I know.  And it's not that I haven't done any projects.  I have.  Blogging just hasn't been on my list of priorities for a while.  But, now that I'm not pregnant anymore (story below!) I plan on doing a lot more.  On Monday I will be starting my weight loss progress which will include how I'm doing it the healthy way.  But for now, here is the story of Sophia Gabrielle... my newest daughter.

Sophia Gabrielle
November 16, 2012

The last weekend in October Tom was in Idaho for our niece's baptism.  That Saturday night at 2:30 I started having contractions.  I was around 36 weeks pregnant and ready to be done but I didn't want it to happen while Tom was gone.  The contractions were lasting about a minute and were 2-8 minutes apart, but not strong.  They stopped after about an hour so I went to sleep.  For the next three weeks I had contractions off and on.  One day I had them for 14 hours, 5 minutes apart.  That was the Sunday before the presidential election and by Tuesday I was so frustrated and disheartened.  Then when Obama won again I just couldn't take it.  I cried myself to sleep (mostly because I was still pregnant).  

I was dilated to a 3 for 3 weeks.  Finally I got my membranes stripped the Monday after I was 38 weeks.  I had cramps and more contractions but nothing real.  I decided to go in again on Thursday and have them stripped again.  

1:15 AM, November 16, 2012 -- That night I woke up at 1:15 AM having more contractions.  I was sure that they were nothing so I decided to watch Army Wives and see if they went away.  They didn't so I hopped in the shower then did my hair and makeup (just in case it was real).  Then they started getting harder.  

3:15 AM --  I woke Tom up and called the doctor to see what he thought.  He said I could probably wait a little longer -- until I couldn't walk or talk through the contractions. 

3:30 AM -- I told Tom he better shower and get ready because it was really hurting.  We were weary to go because that would mean that we had to wake up our neighbor to watch Morgan.  

3:45 AM -- Tom took Morgan to our neighbor's (Carolyn) house.  She asked, "daddy, where are we going" and she was completely happy when he told her.  She loves going to their house.  We got in the car and Tom asked if he should speed.  I said no because if we got pulled over it would just take longer.

3:55 AM -- Tom stopped at a stop light.  Me: "Why are you stopping?!  Just run it!!!"  Followed by some choice words.  Tom:  "But the camera will take a picture and send us a ticket."  Me:  "I don't care!"  Tom: "I'll turn right then do a U-turn."  Me: "Just GO!"  Followed by more choice words.

4:00 AM -- I got to labor and delivery and they put me in a triage room and had me change my clothes.  I noticed there was a lot of blood on my pants.

4:03 AM -- A nurse checked me and I was at a 4.  Then she said, "that's a little more blood than we like to see."  Super.  I was going to die.

4:04 AM -- Me: "I need an epidural."  Nurse: "He's on call so he'll be here in 20 minutes."  And I probably said more choice words.  

4:05 AM -- I had to go to the bathroom but they wouldn't let me.  They said it was probably pressure from the baby.  I was sure that it was not.

4:10 AM -- By then the contractions were way above my pain tolerance.  Tom would try to hold my hand or rub my arm and I would just pull away and tell him not to touch me.  He was also trying to be funny so I had to tell him that he wasn't and to stop it.  Yeah, I'm not so nice in labor.  

4:30 AM -- Another nurse checked me and I was at a 5 or something.  They took me to a delivery room.  Side note: by this time at least 5 different people had had their hands in my vagina that week.  Awesome.

4:40 AM --  The CRNA arrived and gave me my epidural, which will turn out to be the best $1000 per half hour that I would spend.  

4:50 AM -- The epidural kicked in fully and I could relax a little.  My body was shaking uncontrollably and the pressure from the baby was intense.  The nurse checked again and I was at a 7.

5:15 AM -- I pooped (TMI? Maybe, but if it is you shouldn't go running with me ever).  I was so mad.  I told them I had to and now I couldn't do anything but let them clean it up.  

5:20 AM -- The doctor came in and got ready for delivery.  

5:25 AM -- He broke my water and told me to do 2 practice pushes.

5:29 AM -- After 3 more "real" pushes Sophia Gabrielle (Sophie) was born.  6 pounds, 11 ounces.  18 inches long.

She is such a sweet baby and her big sister is absolutely in love with her... just like her daddy and I are.


  1. Your daughter is beautiful! Enjoyed your story--congrats to you!

  2. Very cute story. Your baby is beautiful you lucky mama. Wait, all women don't poop during labor? They tricked me and told me all women do. Hmmm. LOL

  3. Ha ha...way TMI but it was really funny! She is so cute! Congrats!

  4. congratulations! She is so beautiful!

  5. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop:

    I hope you can make it!


    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

  6. I'm a new follower from SkinnyMeg! I love reading other moms birth stories. That is funny! I pooped during labor too (more than once) haha I guess it didn't help eating Chipotle the night before.
    -Stephanie @


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...