Today I'm going to show you the clock that Natalie at A Turtle's Life For Me featured when I did the guest post last week on her blog.
I'm going to walk you through the process of how I took this grandfather clock from dark and nice (I think it is nice -- but I wanted better than nice) to light and fabulous in just a few easy steps.
First of all, the back story of this clock. It's a little personal so don't feel uncomfortable. :)
Long story short, I have a two year old daughter and I am ready for another baby. I thought I was pregnant twice just to find out that I wasn't. The day I got this clock was one of those times. So I was feeling sorry for myself that day and I thought, "what would make me feel better now?" Answer: craigslist. I opened my laptop and started searching. I typed in "grandfather clock" and a handful of posts came up. Most were in the $300+ price range but there was one that was $45 and said it had to be gone STAT. I asked if the hubs was on board if I got it. He was. When I called, I negotiated the price to $30 and we jumped in the car and burned rubber over to her house. She wasn't there so I paid her mom and loaded it in the car. Then I started feeling bad because I knew she needed the money more than I did so I took another $5 to her parentals to give to her.
I started the transformation process by removing the hardware and the doors.
Then I took out the pendulum and the drawer.
Next I covered the face of the clock. Note: If you do this, make sure whatever you use to cover it isn't porous. The spray paint will go through. I'm still banging my head against the wall about another project.
I also put the chains in a grocery bag and taped them out of the way.
Then I started to spray paint. I used Rustoleum's Heirloom White. I decided not to sand this for a couple of reasons. First is that I planned on putting it in a place where it wouldn't get touched often, and second is because I was planning on distressing it so if it got a scratch or two, no biggie.
This is after one can of paint.
Here it is after 2.5 cans.
Next I did the drawer. I did sand this because it is the biggest flat surface on the front of the clock and I wanted the paint to really stick to it.
I covered the glass for the door. And yes, I used electrical tape. We just moved and my painter's tape is in a box somewhere unknown to me. It's all about improvising, amigos.
The little pear shaped deal-e-o was not attached so I painted it and hot glued it in place. I also painted the drawer and the doors and reattached them.
Then I closed my eyes and prayed that everything worked out as I slowly tore off the cover on the face. (Notice the painted hands. Wear gloves! Or at least don't get a mani beforehand).
Phew! It worked!
Next I took a very fine grit sand paper and distressed along the sides and around the edges.
It's a little hard to see in the picture but here it is all distressed. I may do some more but I didn't want to over do it at first (like a short hair cut -- you know what I'm talking about).
Here it is all at home in it's place in our dining nook. I love it! I almost forgot to replace the pendulum but ha!, it needs that to function. I replaced it and now I feel like I'm in Europe every time it dongs it's low-pitched dong.
If you're thinking about doing a grandfather clock, I highly recommend it. It's really easy and the results are phenomenal (my opinion, obviously).
Linking up at these parties.Bunny Jeans Decor and More - The Bunny Hop