Friday, July 27, 2012

Painted Curtains

You know how you fall in love with navy striped curtains and can only find them for like $200?  Well, now you can have those a-maze-ing curtains for only $20.  For both 8 ft panels!  Yippee!  

All you need are two flat twin sheets from Walmart.  Get the ones for $4.97 each.  They're the MainStays brand.  You also need painters tape, a tarp (or something to put under it), a paint brush (I used a spongy one but I would prefer a roller) and the color of paint you want.  I also got the paint at Walmart for $9.97.  It was the Better Homes brand and I had them tint it Rich Navy (not sure by whom).  


I made marks every 10.7 inches on both sides and the middle.  Then I put the tape below the marks for the white stripes and above the marks for the blue stripes.  Does that make sense?  So, in other words, since you're not going to paint the white stripes the tape will only be where it will be white.  You need the whole 10.7 inches for the blue.  If that still doesn't make sense, just email me if you have questions.



Then paint the stripes.  

Remove the tape when you are done.  Mine took two coats of paint.

I needed a way to hang them so I took the case that the sheets were in and cut six strips about an inch and a half thick and six inches long.  Normally I would prefer that they were sewn on, but I can't find my sewing machine, nor do I want to sew.  So I pulled out the glue gun and glued them on the front and back.

Then they're ready.  Enjoy how your room looks every time you walk in.  You'll end up walking in just to look at your work.  I promise.  


Linking up to the parties at the bottom of the blog.
Plus: 

24 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing...and inspiring me to do something like this with my boring tab tops!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I'm doing another set this week. :) Love them!

      Delete
  2. You are so ambitious! They're gorgeous, and aren't you glad you went to all that work. They're definitely worth it. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I'm so glad I did it. It did take a while but it is worth it for sure.

      Delete
  3. So you didn't have to use a textile Medium?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use one. I'm in no way a professional so I could be wrong but I probably won't wash them (and it will be a while if I do) so I'm thinking the paint I used is good for this project. Again, I could be wrong.

      Delete
  4. oh em gee, i sooo want to try something like this! yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing Kelli! Excited to follow you and see what else I'm inspired by :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep telling my daughter she could do this for her house, now I can send her your link! They look fabulous in your daughter's room, just finishes off the room. Great job! Now I am off to pin it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea! I've never thought of painting fabric to make curtains. Would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, that is amazing! Great tutorial and the curtains look fantastic!! Visitin from the party at Homemaker on a Dime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome!!Does the paint bleed through bad? Or at all/ I would love to do white with Khaki stripes would they bleed?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool! I wish I had thought of this…I searched for months for a striped shower curtain just like this! I ended up with doing something totally different. May have to re-do! Thx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a girl after my own heart, as I love when people improvise. Your curtains are very innovative and they look absolutely great!

    FYI (and your readers) you can add what they call 'a fabric or textile extender' to your paint which make the paint easier to work with and gives the colours a permanent finish without the risk of fading etc. when laundered or cleaned. (Folk Art is one brand.) Most craft stores carry it and it is reasonably priced.
    -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW - love love love these!!!
    Your newest follower - would love to have you
    come by and follow back when you can :)
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just gorgeous! I may need to start painting some fabric soon ... looks so tempting and easy!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOOOOOOVE these! they're SO gorgeous and so thrifty and affordable! I'm totally inspired!!! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad to see you again. I can't wait to try this myself. I have a pair of white Ikea curtains that I think I will use. Anyway, just wanted to say that I featured your post on this week's Motivated Monday at beColorful
    pr

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these! Ive been looking for curtains for my sons room forever! Im going out today to get the stuff! ha my only question is, did you use fabric paint? Or any specific kind of paint?! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh also! I forgot to ask..what did you use to hang them..i was slightly confused by the casing they came in? Are they wrapped in a fabric case? thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alaina, I didn't use fabric paint but you can. I just used normal paint from Better Homes. The Walmart sheet casing is fabric just like the sheets so I used that. Good luck! I'd love to see your finished pic.

      Delete
    2. I made one panel today! It looks amazing! It came out great! My only problem is Im a knucklehead and didn't think about the measurements from ceiling to floor...the twin sheet is farrr to long for our ceilings, so I have to get a new one and cut it down and repaint! oops! But Im definitely doing it this week, because Im in love with it! Im already planning on different colors in another room! :) Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Dang! Sorry, I didn't think about mentioning measuring because they fit ours perfectly. I'm planning on doing more too. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...