Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Vegan Greek Pizza

Wow.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the people in Boston who were hurt and the families of those who were killed.  I was pretty emotional yesterday.  I think because I imagined myself running the marathon and what if that happened to me?  What if my child got killed waiting for me to finish my race?  It's heartbreaking.

My personal record for a marathon is 3:39.  To qualify for Boston in my age group you have to finish by 3:40.  I have heard that the Boston course is pretty trying so I can imagine that I may have been crossing the finish line just over 4 hours... maybe right when the explosions were happening.  It just makes me sad.  Not only did some deranged maniac injure and kill people, he ruined something that people have spent so much time and effort to do.

I don't have a lot more to say, but here is a yummy vegan recipe.  Seriously, we loved it -- even Morgan!

Greek Pizza
makes 2 pizzas around 1000 cal each

2 whole wheat crusts -- I used Mama Mary's brand and found it at Walmart.

Layer the following...

walnut pesto*
1 can olives (chopped)
1 onion sliced and sauteed (no extra oil)
4 roma tomatoes (sliced)
1 can artichoke hearts
salt to taste

Bake on 420 for 8-10 minutes.

*walnut pesto
1 cup toasted walnuts (you can toast them in your oven on broil for a few minutes)
2 garlic cloves
1 c fresh basil (more or less to taste)
1/4-1/2 c soy milk, almond milk or cow milk (not vegan)
Puree in food processor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...