Saturday, March 3, 2012

2 Healthy Recipes

I haven't been great at trying new recipes for my family this week but I did get one done.  Utah peeps, have you been to The Bombay House?  It's an Indian place and it is to die for.  Yum.  I love their chicken coconut korma.  LOVE it!  So one night this week I made some healthy korma for us.

I found this recipe at Confessions of a Health Conscious Momma (her pic below, not mine).  I changed it slightly so I'll post her recipe with my changes.
  


Ingredients:
Chicken Spice Marinade:
3 chicken breasts, cut into strips or bite size pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Mix together and marinade for at least an hour.

Yeah, I didn't do a marinade.  It would probably have been awesome though.  I just cooked the chicken and put it in the korma when it called for it.  And I only used one very large chicken breast (the Dolly breast -- haha!  Slap knee.  I can't help it!).

Sauce:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil -- I honestly don't think you ever need to use oil.  Not ever!  Use nonstick cooking spray instead and just use a little bit of it.
1/2 cup chopped onions -- I read it wrong and used a whole onion -- not bad though.
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne -- I used 1/8 teaspoon and I don't think I would use any next time.  I am a white girl!
2 ripe medium tomatoes, lightly blended (or 1 can diced tomatoes) -- I used 3 romas.
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
3/4 cup water + 2 tablespoon cornstarch**
1 teaspoon salt
1 can coconut milk -- I used the light coconut milk that you find in the Asian section.
1 teaspoon garam marsala
1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
1/4 cup cashews, chopped (optional)
garnish with cilantro (optional)


Directions:
Spray large fry pan with non stick spray and brown marinated chicken over medium heat, but do not cook all the way through.
In a large pan add oil, garlic, onions, and ginger and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent. Then add the remaining spices (except salt and marsala) and cook for another minute. After that, add the tomatoes and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the yogurt and blend in with a wire whisk. Then add the browned chicken, water cornstarch slurry and salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in the coconut milk, garam masala, and golden raisins then simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce becomes fairly thick. Serve over brown jasmine rice and top with cashews and cilantro if using. 


The next recipe is for chocolate chip pancakes -- super healthy style!

recipe
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/2 cup ground oatmeal (you can grind it in a food processor)
water 
1 teeny tiny hand full of chocolate chips (or use blueberries for an even healthier option)

Mix everything but chocolate chips to the consistency of pancake batter then add chocolate chips.  Spray your pan with nonfat cooking spray and cook them.  Use a no calorie or light syrup.  Delish and only about 300 calories (entire recipe). 

4 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try out this recipe. I love that ingredient list! Thanks for posting it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I love finding a good recipe that someone has tried and liked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, excellent post. Thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing more from you. Do you run any other sites?

    Click Here For: Healthy Recipes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...