Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Idaho Caucus 2012

First of all, I want to thank all of you who have commented and given your opinions to help me out with the house I staged for the builder and for other nice things you have said.  I really appreciate all of you!

Today's post is not a DIY or decor, but something that is important to me.  Please know that I'm not picking a political fight, I'm just sharing my political stance.  I went to the first ever Idaho republican caucus last night.  I dropped Morgan off at my friend's house at 6pm and rode with them to the arena at Boise State where the caucus was held.  Their daughter watched Morgan and I thought we wouldn't be any later than 9pm.  Ha!  I was wrong.  The doors were open until 7pm, then the doors were still open but nobody else could get in line.

We got there around 6:50 and went forever in a line to register and get our hands stamped and a wrist band.  It was super cold and windy so we were lucky that most of the line was inside.


There were 9,000 people in the arena, which is not the best turn out (in my opinion), but it was so late and inconvenient.  It was neat because they started out with a prayer, the pledge of allegiance, and the color guard by the boy scouts.  Super patriotic.  I loved it!


We heard from a delegate from each person for five minutes.  The best was Ron Paul's campaign leader.  If I didn't go into it knowing who I would vote for, I would have totally voted for Ron Paul.  Plus, I learned a lot about him.  Did you know that he was a doctor by profession?  And a grandfather?  The worst was Governor Otter (Idaho's current governor).  He spoke for Mitt Romney and it was the worst speech ever.  It was more of a "let's pat me on the back" speech than a "vote for Romney" speech.  In fact, he mentioned Romney one time.  ONE time!

After we heard from everyone it was time to vote.  They took us out by rows and gave us each a shiny new penny.  Then we went, one at a time, into a booth to cast our vote by placing the penny into a can with a slit.  Totally primitive, right?!  Then they weighed all of the candidate's pennies and the winner got the delegates from Ada county.  


The rules are that if one person doesn't get over 50% of the vote, they take the person with the least votes out and vote again.  By the time they had counted all the votes it was like 10pm and we were all ready to be done.  Thank goodness Romney got over 50% the first time so we all got to go home.

Here are the results of the entire state.  I honestly wouldn't mind if Romney, Paul, or Santorum got it.  I think they all have good messages, but I also think that the country needs some fiscal help and since that was basically Romney's profession, I'd like to see what he can do to fix things.


Willard M. "Mitt" Romney
26,922
64%
Ronald Ernest Paul
7,525
18%
Richard John "Rick" Santorum
6,777
16%

1 comment:

  1. I thought this statement was pretty interesting: If I didn't go into it knowing who I would vote for, I would have totally voted for Ron Paul. Maybe that's because Ron Paul is the only one who promises to reduce the deficit and strictly adhere to the Constitution, who promises not to use the military to interfere in other nations, but provide for the defense of this country. It's not too late to take a second look and learn more about what Ron Paul stands for.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...