Thursday, February 14, 2013

Skinny Shepard's Pie

Today I'm guesting for Skinny Meg, who guested for me a few weeks ago here, so go check out my [what I think is] knowledge. ;)

But first I wanted to share the recipe for dinner that I made for my family last night.  Skinny Shepard's Pie.

I was at my mom's while Tom was out of town for a few days and she made some delish Shepard's Pie. Since I try to take every good recipe I can and make it "skinny," I made a low cal version where I substituted cauliflower for the mashed potatoes and boneless skinless chicken breast for the hamburger.

Recipe:
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cans green beans
1 can corn
2 cans tomato soup
1 head cauliflower
1/4 cup reduced fat cheese

1400 calories per whole giant Shepard's Pie (more than fit in my pie plate) or 280 calories in 1/5!

Directions:
Put the raw chicken breasts in a food processor and grind them up. Then cook them like you would cook hamburger/taco meat.

Meanwhile, steam the head of cauliflower. When it is soft, put it in a blender with 1/4-1/2 cup milk (or water -- I used unsweetened almond milk). You can add chives or onion powder or whatever seasoning you want.

When the chicken is done, add green beans, corn, and tomato soup. Scoop into a pie plate, put the cauliflower on top, and cheese on top of that.  Bake at 350 until the cheese melts.

Updated Shepherd's Pie recipe

Simple. Skinny. Delicious.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a new follower and found you through your post on skinny Meg's blog :) I'm on a weight loss journey also, have a lot of weight to lose and appreciated the advice in your guest post and I look forward to reading more about your journey here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I love your blog... and appreciated your tips on SkinnyMeg's blog today... I tried to follow you but the subscribe button is leading me to a page that "no longer exists"... I will try again later, but just wanted to say hi... I am also on a weight loss journey but not post baby, pre baby! :)

    Congrats on your great results so far, and your adorable baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! I think the follow button should be working now. Thanks for stopping by and good luck with the journey! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the guest post on Skinny Meg's blog! How would you go about figuring out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight/gain lean muscle?? Congrats on your weight loss! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of grinding up the chicken, I would have NEVER thought of that. THANK YOU for this recipe, I am always looking for new Healthy stuff!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...