Monday, August 8, 2011

Love This Seat

Wow!  The Turquoise Piano has had over 800 visitors since it went live one week ago!  Thank you! Muuaaahhh!  (Pretty please become a follower by clicking on "join this site" under "followers" on the right column).

Do you want to know what the best thing a husband can do for his wife and mother of his children is?  Take everyone away for a few days and leave said mother at home all ALONE at least once a year.  That, my friends, is why I have the best husband in the universe.  Last Wednesday he took our little girl to visit family in Utah until Saturday and I got to stay home and do whatever I wanted, which included a lot of finished projects and a lot of Medium episodes (plus one girls night out to the water park, karaoke, and Just Dance).

The biggest project I finished was this amazing love seat that I picked up at a garage sale for $20.  My friend, Sarah, and I were garage sale-ing at the beginning of the season (like when it was still cold) and she spotted this for me.  It was one of those moments where the stars align and you know you have the best luck and the best friends in the world. 
I'll be honest.  I was overwhelmed.  I had never reupholstered anything and this looked like quite a big project so it sat in my garage for months (with hubby asking if I'm ever going to do anything with it).  I got a few other chairs under my belt and decided to go for it.   

I stripped the old upholstery off. 
Labeled each piece so I would have a pattern for the new material.

Next I spray painted the wood Heirloom White by Rustoleum.  
Then I used antiquing glaze to bring out the wood work, cut out the new fabric (I wanted neutral and stripes), stapled it into place, sewed what I needed to (unfortunately I have zero pictures of these steps).  I made a new cover for the big cushion but I am not there yet with my sewing skills and the cover looks like poo so I took it off and used the extra material to just wrap the cushion like a Christmas present using hot glue instead of tape.  It works for me until I'm ready to try again on the cushion.  Then I made some pillows and stragegically placed them.

 
Cost Summary:
Chair - $20
Upholstery - $35
Paint - $4
Glaze - already had = free
Pillows - around $10 for material
Total - $69

What do you think?  


36 comments:

  1. So pretty now! I'm glad you're giving her a new life and some love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic job you did!! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks OUTSTANDING!!! Thanks for showing her off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY party...please don't forget to post my party name or party button on your post so all your friends know about the party too:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job! Cushions can be fussy it's trial and error, each time will get a little easier. The pillows are a nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always in awe when I see reupholstery or slipcovers. I have two items to tackle. Maybe soon...

    I host a party on Wednesdays that is a showcase for bloggers with less than 500 followers.... and I would like to invite you! (the linky is open now)

    xoxo BunnyJean @ BunnyJean's Decor and More!
    www.BunnyJeansDecorAndMore.blogspot.com

    I am # 141 in the Met Monday party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that fabric you've chosen to reupholster your chair...it looks great! Following along now :)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job-- since this is the 4th page of yours I've read in a few min after finding you at Bunny Hop linky party, I've decided it must be a sign to be a FOLLOWER of your blog so....BLAM, I now AM!

    Nice redo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great job! i love how you wrapped the cushion like a present and used hot glue! that is so me. my sewing isn't the best either, practice practice. lol thanks for partying with me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I found your blog via remodelaholic. I have been looking for a love seat chair just like this to match 2 chairs I reupholstered. Are you interested in selling this? If so, please email at camillestaker@gmail.com (I live in Utah)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job. It looks super, and I like your choice of fabric.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely transformation; it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smart husband 8-)

    Great job. You gave me some inspiration to tackle a project I have been putting off. I am a new follower from Vintage Inspiration Friday. Would love to have you visit back.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! I love settees and this turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is absolutely beautiful! It looks like something out of the Ballards catalog. I have some strategically placed pillows in my house too! :-) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with the above comment, it looks like something out of Ballard Designs or Pottery Barn! Nice job!
    Terry
    PS Yep I'm now following...come on over and say hi!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks amazing!!! I have a chair that's been sitting in my shed for months...I'm just too intimidated to tackle it yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a pro!! Job well done for a first. It looks amazing. I am eyeing some dining chairs but have not yet plucked up the courage!

    Veronica

    www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that is amazing! I don't think I would ever have the nerve to tackle upholstering anything. I will be following to see what you do next.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks great. I tried to do chairs once and they looked DIY-but not in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a fantastic job on this too! I am with you on getting some alone time. Just once a year that's all I am asking. You have some serious skills! This is very pretty. Please put a link back to Home Sweet Home in your post next time. Thanks for joining me Kelli!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job you did! Two thumbs up for alone time!!

    Visiting from Debbiedoos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Soo fabulous!! LOVE it! You did a fantastic job on it!! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Also- wanted to let you know I am sharing this at tonights Feathered Nest Friday party :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! that is soooo beautiful! what a fabulous transformation and save!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How did you get the fabric off? I really want to learn how to upholster!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. @ Sarah: I just ripped it off. It was stapled in and they usually just came out with the fabric when I pulled. When one was hard to get out, I used a screw driver to pry it off. I'll do a "how to" tutorial on reupholstering (according to me) soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing! I can't believe that is your first reupholstery job. It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your really did a nice upholstery job, especially for your first attempt! Looks terrific! I met your mother yesterday!

    Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday and helping to make it a success! I appreciate you and hope you wil link up again next week! Hope you will try that follow buttong again. It's on the top right corner of my blog. Sometimes google plays tricks with us on that follow button!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think that was a well spent $69.00. What a nice thing your hubby did for you. I agree that we wifes/mothers need a special time for us once in a while.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your loveseat looks fabulous, Kelli! After tackling THAT, you should be able to do anything. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday!

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, my goodness. This is fantastic! You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome (and thrifty!) transformation! Want to link this up too? : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...